1. Very loud; noisy: tumultuous applause.
2. Characterized by disorderly commotion: the tumultuous years of the 1960s.
3. Characterized by mental or emotional agitation: a tumultuous love affair.
1. done, acquired, etc, in secret or by improper means
2. operating by stealth
3. characterized by fraud or misrepresentation of the truth
[C15: from Latin surreptīcius furtive, from surripere to steal, from sub- secretly + rapere to snatch]
(tr) to combine or blend (two things, esp two versions of a text) so as to form a whole
[C16: from Latin conflāre to blow together, from flāre to blow]